- 01-Jan-2013 to 10-Feb-2013 (CST)
- R & D
- Waukesha, WI, USA
- Full Time
From NASA to your Neighborhood Gaco Western leads the industry through product Innovation. Founded in 1955, Gaco Western remains today a family-owned business with its roots in technology and product innovations. The Gaco family of brands offer best-of-class solutions for a variety of commercial, industrial, and residential applications including specialty roof and deck coatings and spray foam insulation. Gaco Western is a drug-free workplace and an Equal Opportunity Employer and an Affirmative Action Employer.
Gaco Western's greatest resource is our employees! We are proud of our engaged culture of diverse employees who are committed to our customers. We are looking for people who are driven, collaborative, enthusiastic and love what they do. If you enjoy working hard, having fun and being a part of a stable high-growth company, Gaco is for you.
We are seeking an experienced Research Chemist who will be responsible to:
- Develop new polymer technology platforms for Gaco's WallFoam and Coatings businesses
- Develop specific polymers that achieve targeted performance goals
- Modify existing polymers to improve performance, stability or cost parameters
- Engage in scale-up, manufacturing and tolling activities
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties will be assigned.
- Ensure a strong focus on personal and corporate safety
- Create and document project plans to support initiatives
- Perform lab scale polymer synthesis reactions
- Utilize plant reactors for pre-polymer scale-up needs
- Leverage ideas, projects and pace by effective interactions with universities, or technology holders
- Perform new product applications testing as needed, to demonstrate key performance properties
- Effectively document all activities and learnings to support Gaco Western IP management
- Support corporate quality initiatives as related to pre-polymer products
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND/OR SKILLS REQUIRED:
- CREATIVITY. Demonstrated ability to think outside the box, achieve the unexpected, learn from nature, identify and leverage technologies from other industries, achieve what is thought of as not-possible.
- Five to Ten years experience with polyol synthesis and 2 of the following: Silicone, Acrylic Latex, Epoxy, Urethane Pre-polymers
- MS or PhD in polymer science or organic chemistry
- Experience in project planning and taking projects from concept to completion
- Strong project management skills.
- Able to balance competing priorities.
- Resilient to changing priorities.
- Strong computer proficiency with MS Office Suite of products.
- Demonstrated aggressive pace and sense of urgency
- Effective written/oral communication skills
- Ability to communicate complex ideas in simple terms
- Work is performed with minimal supervision, under the direction of the department lead.
- Creative post synthesis characterization – using limited analytical equipment
- Maintain perspective on overall goals / success criteria – knowing when you may have achieved an unexpected win
- Efficient use of experimental design - maintaining focus on both primary and secondary effects
- Ability to effectively manage 2-4 simultaneous projects
- Empowering Our People
- We Do the Right Thing
- Results Driven
- Passionate Workforce
- Humanistic Approach
- Collaborative Environment
Our benefits include the following:
- Employee focused company, strong core values and a great work environment
- Medical, Dental, Vision, Life and AD&D Insurance
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- 401 (K) Retirement Plan
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Wellness Reimbursement Program
- Paid Time Off
- Paid Holidays
- Domestic Partner Coverage
- Training and Development
THIS POSITION HAS BEEN CLOSED! PLEASE CHOOSE ONE OF THE OPTIONS BELOW:
- Search Current Openings
Sign Up For Job Alerts!